Boston Baked Beans
- 1 pound navy beans (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 pound bacon
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 TBSP molasses
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 C ketchup
- 1 TBSP worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 C brown sugar
- Place the beans in a pot and cover them with 2 inches of water. Let them soak overnight.
- Drain the beans, reserving the water they were soaked in.
- Dice the bacon and cook until crisp in a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot. Remove the bacon to add back in later and discard all but one TBSP of the bacon fat.
- Saute the onions in the bacon until translucent (about 5 minutes).
- Add the remaining ingredients, mix well and simmer for about 10 minutes
- Stir in the bacon and the beans and a cup of the reserved water and then cover and put into a 325 degree oven for 4 hours. Check the beans every 1/2 hour to an hour and stir in more of the reserved water if needed.
Recipe serves 5 to 6 as a main dish or 10 to 12 as a side.